What is the church? Is the church a building? Is it the place where Christians gather to worship?
Or is the church the people—the believers who follow Christ?
How we understand and perceive the church is an important factor in determining how we live out our faith. Jesus says in Matthew 16:18 “I will build My Church.”
In this series will look at 5 characteristics of the church used in the Bible.
1. The Body – ‘Christ is the head of the church, and the church is the body of Christ’ (Ephesians 1:22-23).
2. The Bride – ‘Come, I will show you the Bride, the wife of the lamb (Revelation 21:9)
3. The Family – “I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, Says the Lord Almighty.” (2 Corinthians 6:18)
4. God’s House – “But Christ is faithful as the Son over God’s house. And we are his house, if indeed we hold firmly to our confidence and the hope in which we glory. (Hebrews 3:6)
5. The Temple – “You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.” (1 Peter 2:5)